First Baptist Church received a Memorial Gift in the amount of $104,000 from a church member to be used as seed money for youth programs. A portion of these funds were used to begin this program, thus STAR Club, Inc. opened its doors on October 15, 2018 to 15 at-risk middle school students and increased to 27 students after January 1, 2019. Our plan is to increase to accommodate 50 students in the 2020-21 school year. Our research has determined that there is a great need for the services we provide. There are approximately 1,352 middle school aged children living in St. Albans (US Fact Finder/census.gov). Of those students the average assessment achievement between Hayes and McKinley Middle School that DO NOT meet the Standard performance are as follows:
· 43% Mathematics
· 33% Reading Subjects
· 27% Science
· 41% of the children in these schools come from single parent homes and considered low-income (countyhealthrankings.org). T
· Free or reduced lunch rate for Hayes is 81%,
· McKinley is 69% (WVBOE Office of Child Nutrition)
The criteria for selection of Students to STAR Club, Inc. was based upon the following
· Low income,
· Single parent home
· Student is being raised by a grandparent
· Academic failure / retention
· Home environment not conductive to learning
· Students considered special needs (medical/social)
· As per recommendation of their teachers
· Students considered special needs (medical/social/learning disabled.)
SUPPORT: Develop a relationship of trust with students to serve as a foundation as they grow spiritually, academically, and emotionally.
TRANSFORM: Encourage students to explore opportunities so that they can pursue better, otherwise unattainable circumstances for themselves.
ADVOCATE: Serve students by standing in the gap and amplifying their voices.
RESPECT: Create a culture where each individual's value is recognized by those around them.
STAR Club will empower students and their families to be agents of change in our community and around the world.
STAR Club will:
The Club’s goals and vision are implemented by mentoring, tutoring and teaching the following:
· Problem solving skills
· Computer and technical skills
· Financial responsibility
· Health and nutritional awareness
· Life skills
· Violence prevention
· Bullying prevention
· Anger management
· Increase interest in reading, math and science
Substitute for Kanawha County Board of Education
Business Owner - Bakery
Retired – Commercial Insurance & Risk Management Agent
Dunbar Middle School
West Virginia State University
Family and Consumer Sciences-Health Disparities/Equities
Ram Tool Construction Supply Co.